Confession: I love Saturday Night Live. Love it, still. I know it's soooo 1998, but I can't help it. I grew up watching Cheri O'Teri and Will Ferrell don those Spartan uniforms.
Norm McDonald on Weekend Update (and his insane portrayal of Turd Ferguson on Celebrity Jeopardy),
Molly Shannon be obscenely, uncomfortably awkward as Mary Katherine Gallagher,
Tim Meadows woo with his courvoisier as Leon Phelps,
and of course, Will Ferrell as a grumbly Alex Trebek on Celebrity Jeopardy. The best.
Silly as it may sound, it was a big part of my weekly routine as a tween and teen, and even a little in college. My mom freaking loved it as a kid--and I definitely think my affinity for the show stems from her influence.
With each passing year, a new crop of funny kids makes their way onto the stage, which inevitably means the more seasoned wave of stars moves on to bigger and better. It was just announced that Jason Sudeikis is leaving--which I'm not all too surprised about, given his long-time run. He's one of my definitely favorites, and thrown in with Bill Hader and Seth Meyers (I live for Weekend Update), well, it's almost too much for a girl to stand.
It's hard to whittle down a top 10... but excluding the early days, and only focusing on the prime eras I watched, I'd have to say, my favorites are:
- Jason Sudeikis (obvi)
- Bill Hader (probably my favorite of all time--definitely more dynamic than Will Ferrell)
- Seth Meyers (I'm a Weekend Update groupie fo lyfe)
- Will Ferrell (where do I start? Celebrity Jeopardy, more cowbell, Janet Reno, Harry Carey...)
- Jimmy Fallon (again... see Seth Meyers, but JF was way more diversified)
- Tina Fey (as Sarah Palin, especially and her Weekend Updates)
- Amy Poehler (especially with Kristin Wiig, and as Hillary Clinton)
- Kristin Wiig (favorite female SNLer, hands down...)
- Maya Rudolph (so crazy talented, I can't stand it. Hysterical. especially when singing)
- Cecily Strong (her "girl you shouldn't have started a conversation at a party" is insanely funny)
So, in regards to his departure, here's my favorite Sudeikis clip from this past season:
Thanks for the laughs, boys!! I will be consulting Hulu for your archives, because some brands of humor just can't be imitated.
ST and I just got Trivial Pursuit: SNL, and it is hysterical--surprisingly challenging for this devotee! You have to know so many specifics, it's insane. Who's your favorite SNL-er? Or your favorite skit?